Where are we up to?
We are pleased to share the successful completion of major construction works at Pier 2/3 at the Walsh Bay Arts Precinct. Fit-out works and commissioning will continue into 2022.
After two years of construction, Richard Crookes Constructions has transformed Pier 2/3 from an empty wool store to a premium 21st century space for theatre and music performance. The works have included extensive structural strengthening of the wharf, state-of-the-art acoustic solutions and bespoke fit out, tailored to the needs of each resident company.
Did you know?
- Around 280 kilometres of electrical cabling have been installed, which is the equivalent to the distance between Sydney and Canberra!
- The pier has had a face-lift with 18,000 litres of new paint.
- Nearly 1,000 tonnes of steel have been installed to provide strength and structure.
- To increase usable space, large sections of the roof in the central valleys were raised to facilitate more room for lighting and sound equipment inside the Australian Chamber Orchestra and Australian Theatre for Young People performance spaces.
- Retractable seating banks have been installed in the Australian Chamber Orchestra and Bell Shakespeare performance spaces to allow for multiple seating configurations for flexibility in performances.
- Nearly 300 state-of the-art solar panels have been installed on the roof.
Walsh Bay Arts Precinct
The redevelopment of the Walsh Bay Arts Precinct is a priority infrastructure project for the NSW Government. It has created a public arts and cultural hub on Sydney’s famous waterfront, while preserving its iconic heritage. The precinct is home to:
- Sydney Theatre Company
- Sydney Dance Company
- Bangarra Dance Theatre
- Sydney Philharmonia Choirs
- Gondwana Choirs
- The Song Company
- Bell Shakespeare
- Australian Chamber Orchestra
- Australian Theatre for Young People.
What’s happening next?
Fit-out works and commissioning will continue into early 2022.
Who can I contact?
Create NSW has appointed a Precinct Manager to facilitate the operations and can be contacted at email@example.com
Sign up to receive further updates about Walsh Bay Arts Precinct by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with E-News Sign Up in the subject line.